New Voices  

'Old school' adviser training needs to be updated

'Old school' adviser training needs to be updated

Adviser training is “very old school” and has not adapted to different ways of learning according to Daniel Jones, a mortgage and protection adviser at Hayden Kilkelly.

Jones was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, which he said meant he struggled with some of his adviser studies. 

He said the training "hasn't changed in forever" and warned that teaching has not kept pace with the way in which people's learning has changed.

Article continues after advert

“Visuals and pictures and audio learning are becoming ever more popular and to be giving people big textbooks to read is not necessarily suitable for everyone's needs," said Jones. 

“Some people may be able to read all of that but others would prefer to have a workshop, video or easily accessible audio information to be able to learn.” 

Jones suggested an alternative to exams, which he struggled with, could also be explored. 

He said: "[That could be] a professional conversation with someone who asks you the questions, or perhaps another way to supervise you or assess your growth as you go along.

Jones argued changes in adviser education and assessment were necessary to train people in a way that is more appropriate for their day to day job.

“When you're delivering mortgage advice, you can have all the knowledge, you can know the book off by heart, but if you get in front of the client and you freeze, or you can't necessarily be sympathetic with them then you won’t be effective,” he added.

Career journey

Before the Covid-19 lockdown, Jones worked in hospitality. 

“I waited at a fair few places from smaller, faster paced restaurants and fast food chains, to Michelin star restaurants,” he stated.

“It was only during lockdown that I started to rethink my occupation.

“I’ve always been interested in property and, when I was about 16. I used to go to different house viewings even though I didn’t have the money to purchase one.”

Jones added that he initially looked into pursuing a career as an estate agent before a local opportunity arose for him to become a mortgage adviser. 

“Instead of selling someone a house, I’d be selling them the mortgage to purchase the house,” he added. 

Jones started his apprenticeship in April 2021 and “grew a passion for it”.

He said: “I enjoy speaking with people, and so I was able to transition quite easily but utilising a lot of the stuff that I'd learned from being a waiter, such as the interpersonal skills, to really thrive in my meetings. 

“I find it really easy in meeting settings, I feel comfortable asking the right questions and gaining good rapport with the clients that I'm dealing with.”

Jones said sometimes his youth poses a challenge with clients.

He added: “I believe that when I first encounter new clients, they might look at me and think I might not have the life experience and perhaps not be as knowledgeable as someone who's been in the industry much longer.”