New Voices  

Accessing financial services can be ‘difficult’ without a degree

Career journey

Craft left school after her GCSEs to enroll in AAT Levels 2 and 3 at college. 

“I didn’t really enjoy school so, rather than staying on to do A-Levels, I thought ‘if I’m going to be an accountant I’m going straight into it’ and I went to college because I found that environment to be a better fit for me,” she explained.

Article continues after advert

After qualifying, Craft was offered a job with the college’s accounts department and began full-time employment at the college. To continue learning alongside her role, she enrolled in an evening course to achieve her AAT Level 4. 

Craft qualified at 18 years old, and after a short break to go travelling, she set her sights on getting an ACA contract. 

“The story with HW Fisher began when I was 19 years old. The firm called me back about my job application. I was the youngest of the applicants by roughly 3 years. They offered me the role as an ACA trainee, and I qualified just before my 23rd birthday.”

“I trained in audit and then moved across to corporate finance so I’ve got quite a big background there, did a lot of financial due diligence, valuations work, and financial modelling as well as some financial advisory in between,” she said.

“I’ve always enjoyed audit. It gets a bit of a bad rep but it is quite interesting as you are investigating. I don’t really feel that it deserves the reputation that it has.

“After I had my daughter I made the decision to transition back to audit but I do pick up the odd advisory pieces as and when.”

“I love my job. I enjoy collaborating with my team and working with all of my clients. I also mentor colleagues which I find super rewarding.”

Craft became a partner at HW Fisher last April in the audit department. 

“I hope I can show others that there are multiple different routes into accountancy. It’s such an interesting profession which offers so many fantastic opportunities along the way. 

“Striking the balance of a successful career alongside a successful family life is something else that I am extremely proud of. I hope I can also show others that having a career you love and being a parent can coexist with dedication and hard work.”

tom.dunstan@ft.com

If you would like to be featured in our New Voices series, or you know someone who would be a good fit please get in touch with Tom Dunstan at tom.dunstan@ft.com