In Focus: Diversity in the profession  

'If you're not one of the lads, you can feel on the periphery'

She recalled attending an appointment at a bank and being asked if her husband would be attending.

“It’s just that assumption and, if people get in contact with us, they’ll know that we don’t make the same assumptions that perhaps other advisers or firms do.”

Article continues after advert

Elsworth said the profession should make it more widely known that advice is a good sector to work in and spread this message to people from a variety of backgrounds.

“I look at the lifestyle I’ve got from running my own financial advice firm. We can have time off if we want, if the kids have got something at school we can go there, it’s really flexible and really rewarding,” she explained.

“Most advisers in the industry are middle class or above, degree educated people, whereas I come from a really working class background,” she said.

“It gives you a unique perspective on helping people and you can empathise with how cautious people are with their money having been in a situation where we didn’t have any money.”

tom.dunstan@ft.com

If you would like to be featured in our New Voices series, or you know someone who would be a good fit please get in touch with Tom Dunstan at tom.dunstan@ft.com