Better Business  

What losing our practice manager has taught us about our business

"We've spent quite a lot of time focusing on what our own culture is and sorting out our own values. And I think when you're clear on that and you can then explain that to somebody that makes life a lot easier," says Shadi.

Self-development plays a central role in Transform's strategy and future direction, she explains.

Article continues after advert

"When you run a business, when you run a financial practice, it's actually really important to also develop yourself and I'm not talking about going and doing CPD for financial planning and that kind of thing.

"But as a business owner, that's one of the biggest things that you face because you spend so much time making sure that everybody else is motivated and everybody else knows what they're doing. But actually, you then kind of go right, what about me, you know, so it's also making sure that you've got measures in place to look after you as a business owner.

"And it actually took me quite a few years to realise the importance of that."

Looking back, the experience has taught the two advisers to never take anyone in the business for granted again.

"It just made us look at things from a different perspective, because not once in our business planning or business continuity plans did we ever think Jenn would leave, or a key person would leave, so it's made us think about things in a different way," says Shadi.

"So what I would say to other people, if they're in our position and they might have a key person in the business, such as an ops director or a practice manager, to just make sure that they are completely involved in everything and are aware of what's going on, and to try and document as many processes and things as possible.

"That's the key thing."

Angus adds: "[Having] the right team can be amazing. And we were a really great team and I feel that that's where we're heading now."

carmen.reichman@ft.com