New Voices  

Why more emphasis should be put on inclusion rather than diversity

“When we close a deal and the person has visible peace of mind, that makes me really happy.” 

Importance of ethos

Mpondo said that a company's ethos is one of the most important things to here when looking for jobs.

Article continues after advert

She recounted: “I remember when I started thinking about being a financial adviser, I had a choice between SJP and another company.

“I picked SJP because when they presented the journey to be a financial adviser, I saw that it was really clear - it had a clear timeline in different phases.

“I wanted to be able to pilot my journey to reach my goal, and SJP managed to offer us this transparency about the journey with an end goal.”

Looking to the future

Mpondo also discussed potential issues for the future of the industry, identifying in particular the hot topic of artificial intelligence.

She admitted that she has had previous conversations about AI and the potential risk it poses to the industry but is skeptical about the degree of threat.

“Even though we'll be able to evaluate the markets you think it'd be the end of the analyst.

“However, when it comes to advisers, I came to the conclusion that people like human connection, and you never can use a robot for that."

tom.dunstan@ft.com

If you would like to be featured in our New Voices series, or you know someone who would be a good fit please get in touch with Tom Dunstan at tom.dunstan@ft.com