Mortgages  

Firing Line: Rebecca Robertson

“However, going on past experience, I do not feel that big corporates truly nurture their administration staff to progress.

“We offer a home for women who may not have an IFA status. They have access to all of our marketing and training resources.”

Article continues after advert

Ms Robertson, who has also penned a book on managing finances, hopes the successes of her ventures will go some way in helping to dissipate the stigma associated with working mothers. She is the mother of an infant daughter and newborn son, and heralds the benefits of the flexibility enjoyed by self-employed advisers.

“Who is to say that you can’t be a fantastic mother and a fantastic adviser? My family is the focal point of my life and my work allows me to schedule work around them.

“I think there is a misconception that mums whom return to work will start their own business from the comfort of homes, making and selling jams.”

On the biggest barrier to attracting new talent to the industry, she added: “Females do not hold the advice sector to the same regard as legal and medical professions, for example. The industry is still struggling to shake off its sales vibe despite the efforts of the RDR.”

Myron Jobson is features writer for Financial Adviser

Rebecca Robertson's Career Ladder

2011-present

Founder and director

Evolution for Women

Evo Girls Networking Group

2012-present

2010-2011

Mortgage broker

Your Mortgage Decisions

2006-2007

Regional sales manager