Better Business  

Case study: 'I helped her through her divorce. Then she told me she had a brain tumour'

What did you do?

After reassuring the client, I contacted the insurance company that had her CI, and they rang her and they paid out on the CI quickly, which enabled her to pay off her mortgage. 

Article continues after advert

The providers were great. The insurer paid out without delay, and there were no issues.

It is a bit of a myth that people do not get payouts. Insurers want to pay out and they are continually enhancing their plans to make it easier, and to cover more conditions. 

I also looked at her overall finances. We've done investments over the years and each year we look at her financial plan. 

Apart from the physical trauma of the tumour and the divorce that she went through, we checked over her investments and I could reassure her that she and her daughter would be secure.

What was the outcome for the client's family?

I was pleased with the speedy payout. It gives you confidence in selling protection.

For me, cover is the foundation of everything - if that is in place, everything is secure. If you have £100,000 in investments but cannot work for three years, that’s the money gone. 

Miraculously she is still with us, and her daughter - who is now about 20 - is doing well. My client's tumour hasn't grown, although she still suffers from headaches.

She has a secure family background, owns he property outright, and has a strong network of friends. She is in a much better position financially, physically and emotionally.

It gives me confidence that these plans work. Over the years I have similar cases pop up and it is good to know companies are there to support and look after clients. 

She has no CI now, as it is almost impossible to get once you have had a brain tumour. But she does have some protection, pensions and investments and is set for a sizeable inheritance. 

In fact, she has over the years recommended her friends and family to me. I've even met with her parents.

What would be your top tip for someone starting out on their journey to become an adviser?

I would say first of all, you need to listen. You need to treat all your customers as if they are your own mum and dad.

Don’t go for what will earn you the most money. Be contactable. Be personable. Be prepared to have people phone you up.

Make yourself accessible, be honest, trustworthy, help the client, listen to them - and you will be alright.

This is the basics really. It’s hard to build up the client book but these are the basics.