Product Adviser  

Free life cover for new parents is a no-brainer

Again, I find this frustrating but understandable, though I do wonder why they have only singled out those with cancer. Are they more of a risk than someone who has had a recent heart attack or diagnosis of Huntington’s disease?

One thing I do not like is that the policy offered by Royal London indefinitely excludes applications from people living with HIV. With effective treatment, the HIV virus can become dormant.

Article continues after advert

It seems very unfair that people living with HIV are excluded from the cover, and yet diabetics, people with Huntington’s disease, or those who have had a recent heart attack, can get insurance.

Do not get me wrong, I want everyone to have the insurance, I just feel that this policy is discriminatory.

Directing clients to new parent life insurance is a no-brainer. It is free and offers added financial protection for children.

For the most part I think it can open the door to insurance for many people with medical conditions, but equality in access to insurance needs to be addressed.

Kathryn Knowles is managing director of Cura Financial Services