In Focus: Tax  

Sometimes, we need to be a little more American

Simoney Kyriakou

Simoney Kyriakou

However, because it is law for anyone earning more than the statutory minimum of gross income each year to file their federal tax returns, Americans are at least more familiar with talking tax – and therefore understanding how to mitigate it.

I am not advocating for every Brit to start filing personal tax returns (though I would certainly like a Dairy Queen right now). 

Article continues after advert

I am not even advocating for every Brit to have in-depth knowledge of how tax works. 

But I would urge for tax to be taught in schools and colleges, so when youngsters get into the workplace, they are not left staring confusedly at their first payslip, wondering why on earth they have so much money being taken out at source. 

I would like people to understand their tax allowances, and know how to claim marriage allowance, or buy back years of their NI.

Because a more-informed population is a population that can start to work out that debt/savings ratio and get their household finances into shape. They can seek professional advice about inheritance tax planning and making important end-of-life plans.

But without the basics, thousands risk sleepwalking through wrong tax codes and unclaimed reliefs, and leaving their loved ones with hefty tax bills.

So come on, Britain. Get to grips with your personal taxes.

Burn that bacon, pour some gravy over your breakfast biscuits and be more American. Just a little bit.

Simoney Kyriakou is senior editor of FTAdviser